Saturday, October 25, 2008

First Impressions

Here I am in Veracruz, at the school to do "Spanish immersion" for three weeks. So far it's been such a whirlwind that I'm looking forward to this weekend, so I can finally set up my room the way I want it and explore the area a little. The flight here was an adventure in itself! I left the house in Suisun at 6:30 am and finally arrived here at 11:00 pm, Veracruz time. And even though that was only 9:00 my time, it was a LONG day. Suffice it to say, if you ever fly through the airport in Mexico City it's helpful to know at least a little Spanish. Acckkk! I did fine, even explaining the problem I encountered when they somehow had no seat for me on the flight from Mexico City to Veracruz even though I had booked the ticket last FEBRUARY -- ahem!! Imagine me pounding on the ticket counter and explaining all this in Spanish with my eyes bugging out, not having had time to eat or drink anything all day or even use the bathroom, it had been such a rush between flights both in LA and then in Mexico City. So much for my plans of having a cervesa in Mexico City and people watching! As it was, I barely made the flight. Nice airport, though, I have to say, much better than LAX. I'm off to get coffee somewhere, will be back later in the next installment with tales of the school, the city, and some pictures.

1 comment:

Nanci said...

I;m so glad you got there safely and have set up this blog for us all to follow. Have a fantastic, fabbo time!