Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After the Election











Last night was election night. Linda and Eric set up a little TV on the table downstairs, so that any of us Yanks who cared to watch the election returns, could. I stayed up for awhile and watched, but then had to hit the hay early. Amazing to turn on the computer this morning and see all that news, history being made. Wish I were not so busy so I could keep up with all the analasis, the gossip and conjecture, the fun of it all. But I'm determined to make the most of my last week here and not become distracted. Had a great day today, in that I made great progress in the morning with Antonio (and John, the new guy from Davis), and then in the afternoon with Cesar. They are both great fun. Of course, Antonio is so handsome he knocks my socks off; too bad he is 28 and married, hahaha! A bit disappointing that for the "out and about" we went to --ugh -- Home Depot! (Which here they pronouce "Ohm Depott", lol.) But the purpose was so that Kent and Steve could look at the herramientas (tools) and learn the names for things. Hammer. Saw. High powered pressure washer. And it actually turned out great for me too because I ended up talking a lot with Emelia (teacher) and learning a lot of new expressions; although not necessarily about hardware. Suddenly we realized we were going to be late for lunch, so we packed, all 5 of us plus the driver, into a tiny taxi and careened back across town to the school, aaaaahhhhh! This CAN'T be the way my life ends, at the hands of a Mexican taxi driver?? Mari, the cook, is so kind, she had made me a special chipotle salsa the day before because I had found the food so bland, so I had more of that on the albondigas (meatballs) she made for lunch today. "Lunch" is actually the big meal of that day, the evening meal, la cena, is hardly much at all. I usually go out and get a ham sandwich at the corner tienda, or skip it if I've eaten a lot mid-day. Had a beer with Kent and Steve after class ended for the day at 3:30, a celebration of sorts because Thursdays are YAY, field-trip day. Today we are heading south to a small town that is supposed to be very picturesque with a style of architechture that is Spanish-colonial -- and since I won't be able to get to Puebla this time around (as Tim and I had originally planned before it refused to rain and kept him on the ranch), I'm looking forward to seeing it. Also, I haven't been to the south of here at all, so it will be great to get a couple of hours away and see what that terrain is like down there. More tropical yet than here, I'm sure. Not sure what is happening tonight; a group is headed out to the zocalo to see the folklorico group, but since I saw it last week, I'm not sure I want to go again. Anyway, Cesar started teaching me the subjunctive this afternoon, and, grammar dork that I am, it is so much fun that I might just stay in for a quiet night with my books so that I have a firmer grip on it when classes resume on Friday. I am pondering what to do this weekend, since it will be my last weekend here. I'd really like to get out of town and see something new, but where?? Also, my plan is, a week from Friday when my flight leaves to return to the US, to take a bus from Veracruz to Mexico City and see the country on the way, it is supposed to be a beautiful trip. And way cheaper, of course, than the plane. But I hear I should reserve my ticket in advance. So ..... need to find out what the bus schedule is. My flight doesn't leave Mexico City until 5:00, so hopefully the bus is possible. But who cares about that now, when I have another week here in front of me. The weather is perfect ... the heat and humidity that was still here when I arrived is totally gone, this has to be the perfect time of year in Veracruz...or anyway, from now until March or so. Just soft, warm air, day after day and night after night except when it rains.

No comments: